Vegecolor™ Swirl Bread
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups warm water (110° F/45° C)
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 packets Vegecolor™
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 1/2 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Stir in 3 tablespoons butter, salt and two cups of the flour. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly butter a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with butter. Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rectangle. Spread 1 tablespoon of butter over each rectangle, then sprinkle a packet of Vegecolor over each. Roll up each rectangle starting at a short end and keeping the roll as tight as possible. Pinch end to seal roll and create a loaf shape. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a cloth and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425° F (220° °C). Place risen loaves in oven and reduce heat to 375 ° F (190° C). Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.